Nikon had recently announced its first PRO body mirrorless camera. In this article I will walk you through the latest flagship of Nikon full-frame mirrorless camera the Nikon Z9.
Based on the latest news, the supposedly released date (in the US) that was reported to be 15th Dec was changed. And as of this writing the shipping date is pointing towards December 24 according to the latest updates.
If this is true, then it will coincide with the launching date in Japan that was originally reported to be on 24th December. Thus, making Nikon Z9 the best Christmas gift a professional photographer and even an enthusiast could probably get.
Notice: “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases”. There are affiliate links on this page. I will get a small commission at NO EXTRA COST to you once you decide to buy through these links. Full disclosure.
The Latest Nikon Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera with PRO Body
Nikon Z9 photos have already circulated online as everybody awaits in anticipation of its final release date. Dubbed as “unstoppable’ by no other than Nikon itself. Nikon Z9 boasts some first of a kind features not seen in other competing PRO body mirrorless camera that’s already out in the market.
Nikon Z9 Key Specifications
|Type||Mirrorless (with support for interchangeable lens), PRO body||WiFi||Yes (Built-in)|
|Lens Mount||Nikon Z mount||Bluetooth||Yes|
|Sensor||Full-frame (Stacked CMOS sensor)||HDMI port||Yes|
|Image Processor||EXPEED 7 image-processing engine||USB port||Yes|
|Effective Pixel||45.7MP||Mic port||Yes|
|ISO sensitivity||64-25600 steps 1/3 or 1 EV |
|Burst speed||120fps (at 11MP resolution)||Flash||External flash via hot shoe|
|Still Image format||JPEG, RAW (NEF, 14 bit)||Storage media||CFexpress (Type B), XQD Type Memory|
|Video||8K, 4K, FHD||Battery||EN-EL18d Lithium-ion (Rechargeable)|
|Video format||MOV, MP4 (H.264), (H.265)||Battery life||740 shots (CIPA)|
|LCD/TFT Monitor||3.2” Vertical & Horizontal Tilting Touchscreen (2.1M dots)||Approx. dimension||149.0 x 149.5 x 90.5 mm|
|View Finder||OLED EVF (3.69M dots), Blackout Free||Approx. weight||1340g (including battery)|
Nikon Z9 Key Features – What To Expect (as Advertised)
- Best AF scene detection system
- Automatically tracks humans, animals (dogs, cats, birds), vehicles (cars, motorbikes, bicycles, trains, airplane) without changing menu
- Enhanced Eye Detection AF for humans and animals
- Tracks even the smallest and fastest subjects (automatically identify and track the whole frame)
- 3D Tracking and subject detection (locks fast subjects and tracks moving towards and away from your position)
- Fast still Image burst shooting speed
- 120fps shooting JPEG at 11MP resolution
- 30fps shooting JPEG at Full resolution (45.7MP)
- 20fps shooting RAW at Full resolution (45.7MP)
- Top of the class 8K video recording
- EVF blackout-free and first in the world as claimed
- 4-axis Tilting Touchscreen, vertically and horizontally
- Activating Starlight Mode will enable you to adjust exposure to -8.5 EV and shoot in the dark
- Illuminated control buttons
- Image processor is 10x faster than previous generations of engine processors as claimed
- Dual memory card slots with fast readout speed
- Fully electronic shutter, shoots up to 1/32,000 second and not worry about vibration and shutter wear
- Improved electronic Vibration Reduction for a stable handheld video capture
Nikon Z9’s Advantage Compared With The Rivals
- Nikon Z9 has a surprisingly lower price tag compared to its rivals Canon EOS R3 and Sony Alpha A1 (most expensive) based on the current offerings at selected outlets.
- Nikon Z9’s image resolution at 45.7MP sits in between Canon EOS R3 (24.1MP) and Sony Alpha A1 (50.1MP).
- Nikon Z9 video is claimed to be the top of its class, can record 8K/30p 125mins (no over heating as claimed).
- Both Nikon Z9 and Sony Alpha A1 are capable of 8K video recording
- Canon EOS R3 only up to 6K video recording.
- Nikon Z9 has a fully electronic shutter which means more silent
- Canon EOS R3 and Sony Alpha A1 both have electronic and mechanical shutter
- Nikon Z9’s option to shoot 11MP at 120fps
- Nikon Z9’s 4-axis Tilting Touchscreen LCD display, adaptable for vertical and horizontal shooting
- Nikon Z9 AF detection system that can track human, animals, vehicles without changing menu.
- Sony Alpha A1- if Eye AF is set to animals you have to set it back to human if you have to shoot people
- Canon EOS R3- also uses deep learning technology that can track people, animals, vehicles and it has an option to select No Priority.
Nikon’s announcement on its flagship for PRO mirrorless camera didn’t really came as a surprise. Everybody knew that it’s just a matter of time when Nikon will release its own PRO body model to rival Sony and Canon who took the first iniative.
Nikon has always been a top contender in the race of who has the best mirrorless camera. Nikon have just raised the bar for competitors to match with the arrival of Z9.
From the outside look, Nikon seems to have regained the upper hand. The introduction of Z9 will definitely attract all the attention as this model is stacked with high-end features that will only be seen for the first time.
Nikon full-frame mirrorless camera and the whole Nikon Z family in general will benefit from this breakthrough. And as expected Nikon have already released several Nikon Z mount lenses to show their seriousness to the mirrorless system.
The addition of the recently launched NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8, NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S, NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 and NIKKOR Z 180-400mm f/4 ED TC VR to the Nikon Z mount family of lenses is a testament that competition between the major players in mirrorless camera is alive.
The under development NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S super telephoto lens will only excite Nikon Z users even more. This clearly shows Nikon’s intent and how mirrorless camera would shape up that could impact its future.
It’s no secret that Nikon Z mount lenses have been scarce. Nikon Z users had not much of an options availabe for awhile. With the recent developments Nikon Z users can now enjoy wide range of Z lenses that will be availbale for their picking.
There you have it folks, once again thank you for reading. If you find this article helpful or you have some questions please leave a comment and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.